Mushroom Salad Spring Rolls
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Diane Forley
Try Meyer lemons when they are in season. They are much sweeter than a regular lemon.
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 package enoki mushrooms, root ends removed
- 1 small head chickory or frisee lettuce, washed and cut into 2-inch pieces from stem
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons thick Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 rice paper spring roll sheets
- Toss sliced shiitake and white button mushrooms together in a mixing bowl. Separate enoki mushroom into small pieces and scatter into the rest of the mushrooms. To prepare dressing, combine lemon juice, grated ginger, mustard, yogurt and olive oil. Coat mushrooms with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate for an hour to “cook” the mushrooms. They can be prepared up to this point and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Before rolling into spring rolls, mix in lettuce. Place mixture in a strainer to allow excess marinade to drain.
- To make rolls: fill large bowl with hot water, large enough to immerse the rice paper. Have a serving platter ready to place assembled rolls. Immerse one sheet of rice paper into hot water and turn to moisten both sides. Once the sheet is softened, about 10 to 15 seconds, depending on how hot the water is, lay it flat on a cutting board. Place a large handful of filling across the center, leaving two inches free from both sides of each end. This will make a 4 ½ inch long roll. Fold over sides on each end and roll over filling to create cigar like shape. Continue to fill the rest of the rolls, until filling is used up. Make sure to cover the rolls with a wet paper towel until ready to serve, to prevent them from drying out. Note: make sure to reheat the water if it cools as you are working.
- Slice roll in half crosswise to serve. Spoon extra dressing on plate for dipping.