Mussels Steamed in Pale Ale
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, gently bashed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and cleaned
- 1 pint of pale ale beer
- Juice and zest from half an orange
- Juice and zest from half a lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Crusty bread to serve with finished mussels
- Heat oil in a large pot and add shallots, garlic and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes until softened and just translucent. Increase heat to high and add mussels. Stir well to coat everything evenly then pour in beer, orange juice/zest and lemon juice/zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and steam for 7-8 minutes until the mussels have opened. Use a large slotted spoon to place mussels in a large bowl. Return the pot with the liquid to the stove top and boil until slightly reduced. Add butter and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over mussels in bowl and serve with crusty bread to soak up all the delicious juices.