Orange and Grapefruit Slices with Coconut
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Ruth Cousineau
This recipe is an easy take on ambrosia and a wonderfully refreshing way to start Christmas morning.
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 red or white grapefruit, peel and white pith removed
- 4 naval oranges, peeled and white pith removed
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Spread coconut in a pie plate and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. (Watch carefully, as coconut burns easily.) Cool and set aside.
- Slice grapefruit and oranges into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Arrange in layers, sprinkling each with some brown sugar in a glass or ceramic bowl. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with coconut just before serving.
- Make ahead: Coconut can be toasted 1 day ahead and kept covered at room temperature. Fruit can be sliced 1 day ahead and kept chilled, covered.