Oven-Roasted Broccoli with Spicy Breadcrumbs & Parmesan
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- 2 medium-sized heads of broccoli (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 3 turns Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon cut into wedges
- Spicy Breadcrumbs & Parmesan:
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, peeled
- a pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmegiano reggiano cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the tough root end of broccoli off and peel the stringy outer layer of the stems. Cut heads lengthwise through the stem to yield smaller pieces and wash thoroughly under cold running water. Drain well then lay out on a cookie sheet or roasting pan in a single, flat layer. Drizzle evenly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place tray in the middle of the oven and cook for 15-17 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, prepare the breadcrumbs. Peel and mince garlic and add to a large pan with olive oil. Add red pepper flakes and set pan over medium heat. As the oil begins to heat the oil will become infused. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic starts to sizzle and become fragrant. Add the bread crumbs and stir to combine everything. Increase heat to high and cook breadcrumbs until golden brown. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, fold in fresh parsley and parmigiano reggiano.
- When the broccoli has 3 minutes of cooking time to go remove from oven and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Return to the oven and continue to cook for remaining 2 minutes until done. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice from wedges.