Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Almond Pesto
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Maggie Ruggiero
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful basil leaves, about 1 cup packed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound pasta, long or short
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and fry almonds until just pale golden, about 1 minute. Set aside, keeping skillet on hand.
- Drop garlic into feed tube of processor with motor running to finely chop. Then add almonds, basil, water, and 1/3 cup oil and puree. Pulse in cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and cook cherry tomatoes until juicy, about 2 minutes. Stir in almond pesto and season to taste.
- While tomatoes are cooking, cook pasta according to package in salted boiling water. Reserve a little cooking water then drain and toss with sauce. Add cooking water to moisten as desired.