Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
total prep 36 calories/serving
Who can resist a tiny edible pumpkin patch? The herbal pesto spread lends richness to the sweet squash, and sprigs of watercress complete the visual effect.
- 1 pound piece pumpkin or butternut squash
- 6 thin slices dense German-style rye or pumpernickle bread
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 24 small sprigs watercress
- Special equipment: a 1-inch melon baller, a 1 1/4-inch round cookie cutter
- Cut out 24 balls from pumpkin piece or butternut squash (halved) and steam until tender, 8 minutes. Cool.
- Cut out 6 rounds from each slice of bread and spread each round with 1/2 teaspoon pesto. Top pesto with pumpkin balls. Prick each pumpkin ball once with a toothpick and stick watercress sprig in hole.