Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Whipped Mascarpone
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- FOR BREAD PUDDING:
- 1 pound brioche, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 pint mascarpone cheese, lightly whipped until loose
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the brioche on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 10-12 minutes, stirring once or twice, until lightly golden and dry.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, sugar and 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Add the rum, vanilla and cinnamon. Gently fold in the brioche and cranberries and let stand for 8-10 minutes to allow the brioche to absorb the mixture.
- Brush an 8x11-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the bread pudding mixture . Bake on a sheet tray for 50 minutes until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown and slightly crispy. Let the bread pudding cool slightly and serve with whipped mascarpone and a sprinkle of cinnamon.