Ramazan Pidesi - Turkish Ramadan Breads
Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
total prep 180 calories/serving
This flattish round bread garnished with restorative nigella seeds is baked only during Ramadan in Turkey.
- Make Dough: Heat 3/4 cup milk in microwave until lukewarm, about 45 seconds. Put in bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or a wide bowl if kneading by hand. Stir in yeast and sugar and let stand 5 minutes until foamy.
- Heat remaining cup milk in microwave until lukewarm, about 1 minute. Add to yeast mixture along with flour and mix on low speed (or stir) until flour is combined. Increase speed to medium (or knead dough by hand -- it will be sticky which is why it is easier to do in a standing mixer, but don't be tempted to add more flour) until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and turn to coat with flour. Form dough into a ball, pulling dough underneath to make a smooth skin. Put olive oil in another large bowl and turn dough in oil to coat. Cover bowl and let stand at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Cut two 9-inch rounds of parchment paper and place each on a baking sheet. Divide dough in two and turn each half in flour and form into a ball. Put a ball on each round of parchment and push out from center with fingers to spread each to an 8-inch disk. Let stand until puffy, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Make a ring of dimples about one inch in from edge of dough with finger tips, then press dimples about 1 inch apart inside ring. Stir together egg yolk and milk for glaze and brush on both rounds. Sprinkle with nigella seeds.
- Bake breads one at a time in oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.