Red Bean & Beef Chili
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Kate Slate
total prep 422 calories/serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds well-trimmed sirloin, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion (10 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) small red beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sear on all sides, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan along with the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sprinkle with the chili powder, add 1/3 cup water, and cook, stirring often, until the onion and pepper are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, the tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes to thicken and develop flavors.
- Return the beef (and any accumulated juices from the plate) to the pan along with the beans. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes to heat the beans and cook the beef through. Taste for seasoning and add more chili powder to taste.