Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
total prep 33 calories/serving
Appetizers with an attitude--these mushroom caps are stuffed with a spicy sausage mixture, topped with bread crumbs and baked until piping hot. Make a lot--they'll disappear fast!
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Chop enough stems to make 1 cup. Brush the mushroom caps with the butter and place top-side down in a shallow baking pan.
- Cook the sausage and the chopped mushroom stems in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the sausage is well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat.
- Add 1/2 cup picante sauce and the bread crumbs to the skillet and mix lightly. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sausage mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are hot. Top each with 1 teaspoon picante sauce and sprinkle with the cilantro.
- Tip: Cut a thin slice from the top of each mushroom cap to keep the caps from rolling in the pan.
- To make ahead: Prepare as directed above through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate the stuffed mushrooms up to 24 hours. Bake as directed in Step 4.