Savory Herb and Sausage Stuffing with Tangy Granny Smith Apples
Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
total prep 263 calories/serving
Using the Granny Smith apples gives more texture and flavor to this tasty sausage and herb stuffing. Plus, you make it in a casserole, so any time you're in the mood for stuffing, you can have it, turkey or not.
- 8 tablespoon butter (1 stick)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apple , coarsely chopped
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian pork sausage , casing removed
- 1 large onion , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalk celery , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural GoodnessTM or Certified Organic)
- 1 bag (14 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- 2 cup Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Seasoned Croutons
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 egg , beaten
- vegetable cooking spray
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the apples from the skillet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Add the sausage, onion and celery and cook until the sausage is well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Stir in the broth and remaining butter and heat to a boil.
- Stir the apples, stuffing, croutons, sage and egg in a large bowl. Add the sausage mixture and mix lightly. Spray a 3-quart shallow baking dish with the cooking spray. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the baking dish. Cover the baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F. for 45 minutes or until the stuffing mixture is hot.