Spicy Red Currant Glazed Acorn Squash
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Paul Grimes
The red glaze on these slices of yellow squash make them look like ceramic works of art.
- Put racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 450F. Lightly oil 2 (17- by 13-inch) baking pans with sides
- Halve squash lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Slice squash lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick pieces.
- Melt jelly with vinegar and red-pepper flakes in a medium pan over low heat. Toss squash in a large bowl with salt, pepper and oil. Add jelly mixture and stir to coat.
- Lay squash, cut sides down, on oiled baking sheets, reserving excess jelly mixture. Roast squash 15 minutes.
- While squash roasts, boil down reserved jelly mixture until thickened and syrupy, about 3 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven, flip pieces to other cut side, then brush with thickened jelly. Rotate pans in oven and continue roasting until squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.