Spicy Warm Shrimp Cocktail
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 16 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 onion cut into eighths
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp (with shells intact)
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh chives divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 head of iceberg lettuce very thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Combine the water wine onion carrots celery lemon halves bay leaf and peppercorns in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Turn off the heat and add the shrimp. Cook just until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque in the center about 2 minutes.
- Using a meshed spoon transfer the shrimp from the water to a baking sheet and cool. Peel and devein the shrimp. Cut all but 8 of the shrimp crosswise into bite-size chunks.
- Stir the crème fraîche mayonnaise horseradish ketchup and 2 tablespoons of chives in a medium saucepan over medium heat until heated through. Mix in the lemon juice. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the heat. Add the diced shrimp and stir until the shrimp are warm.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 oversized martini glasses. Using a slotted spoon spoon the shrimp mixture atop the lettuce in each glass. Place 2 whole shrimp atop each serving and sprinkle with the remaining chives. Garnish with the lemon wedges and serve.