Summer Fresh Tomato Sauce
Stephen Davis Phillips
Provided by: Marco Canora
- 10 15 plum tomatoes (depending on the size)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Several sprigs of basil
- Score then blanch the tomatoes in boiling water to loosen their skins. Peel the tomatoes, cut them in half through the middle and squeeze out the seeds.
- Place the oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet. Turn the heat to high and cook until the garlic begins to color, a couple of minutes or so. Add the tomatoes in a singe layer and season them with a little salt. Fry the tomatoes, adjusting the heat if the pan gets too hot, and stirring occasionally until the tomatoes soften, about 10 minutes. Tear the basil leaves into large pieces and add them to the sauce. Simmer the sauce, breaking up the pieces of tomato with a fork. Cook until the liquid evaporates and the sauce concentrates, about 5 minutes longer. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.