Sweet and Spicy Grilled Tofu with Cabbage-Carrot Slaw
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Adeena Sussman
total prep 442 calories/serving
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head red cabbage, about 1 1/2 pounds, shredded
- 2 large carrots, about 1 pound, peeled, trimmed and shredded
- 1 bunch scallions, greens and whites, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, weighted and drained, cut into 12 equal-sized blocks
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, chipotle in adobo, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to incorporate. Toss with cabbage and carrots and reserve.
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Combine brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Press tofu pieces into spice mixture, coating well on all sides. Grill tofu until grill marks form, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and reserve.
- Distribute slaw among four plates, and top each plate with three pieces of grilled tofu.