Thai-style Spring Rolls with Shrimp
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- Dipping Sauce:
- Zest of 2 Limes
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Spring Rolls:
- 4 cups hot water
- 8 8-inch diameter Vietnamese spring-roll sheets
- 8 ounces fresh cooked shrimp, medium diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup (lightly packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- To prepare the Dipping Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, mix lime zest and juice, agave, soy sauce, tamarind paste, and garlic to blend and dissolve the paste.
- Pour the dipping sauce into serving bowls and aside.
- To prepare the Spring Rolls:
- Pour the hot water into a large bowl.
- Dip 1 spring roll sheet in the hot water for about 30 seconds or until it is pliable. Remove the sheet from the water and place it on a wet towel. Let stand for 30 seconds (if the spring-roll sheet is still stiff, sprinkle it with more water).
- In a large bowl, mix the shrimp, mayonnaise, ginger, bean sprouts, onions, carrots, cilantro and peanuts. Place an eighth of the shrimp mixture across the bottom third of the spring roll sheet.
- Fold the bottom edge of the sheet over the filling then fold in the ends of the sheet. Continue rolling the sheet around the filling and into a cylinder. Repeat with remaining sheets and shrimp filling.
- Using a very sharp large knife, cut the spring rolls crosswise on the diagonal in half.
- Arrange the spring rolls on a plate. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs and serve with the dipping sauce.