Vegetable Egg Rolls
Provided by: dLife®
Visit dLife.com for more diabetes recipes
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 2 fresh green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh mushroom, sliced
- 15.5 oz low sodium canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, fresh
- square egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1. Combine sesame seeds and sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet and stir-fry until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2. Mix in green onions, ginger root, and garlic and continue to cook another 1 to 2 minutes or until onions are soft.
- 3. Add spinach, water chestnuts, carrots, and mushrooms and sauté, covered, until spinach and mushrooms are tender.
- 4. Add beans and soy sauce and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Mix in egg whites and alfalfa sprouts.
- 6. Place 1/3 cup of filling onto the top corner of an egg roll wrapper.
- 7. Coat the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the bottom part of the wrapper over mixture, fold sides in and wrap up. Continue procedure until all egg rolls are made.
- 8. In a large skillet or wok heat 2 inches of oil. Place egg rolls in oil and cook until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 9. Using a slotted spoon, remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Continue frying until all egg rolls are cooked. Serve warm.