White Bean and Escarole Soup
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head escarole (chicory), washed, rough stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced carrots (approximately 2 carrots)
- 2 14-ounce cans cannellini beans
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add the olive oil and cook the onion stirring occasionally until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the escarole and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook 2 minutes more. Then add the beans and broth, plus salt and pepper to taste. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper, if necessary, before serving.
- This recipe doubles easily and freezes well.