White Wine Braised Clams
Provided by: Marcus Samuelsson
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped
- 4 dry chiles (crumbled)
- 1/3 cup peanut oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound butternut squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch slices
- 4 dozen little neck clams
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach (8 to 10 ounces)
- 2 lemons, quartered and juiced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in peanuts, thyme, ginger and chiles. Toast on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, squash and peanut oil to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the clams and cover for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add in clam juice, white wine, lemon juice and salt. Cover the pot and cook until clams open, about 4 to 5 minutes. Discard any unopened clams.
- Stir in spinach and butter to the pan, cover, and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Divide the clams among four warmed serving bowls and serve with the lime wedges.