New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Mark Bittman
Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
- 2 pounds zucchini or yellow squash (appoximately)
- 1 shallot, grated or chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or plain bread crumbs, more or less, plus more for dredging
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- Grate the squash by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor. Mix together all the ingredients but the butter or oil. Shape into 4 to 8 burger-shaped patties. (Add more flour or bread crumbs if necessary to make a mixture capable of holding its shape.) If time allows, refrigerate for 1 hour to firm them up.
- When you're ready to cook, put the butter or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, dredge the cakes in flour or bread crumbs and put in the skillet (if you've made 8, do this in 2 batches). Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness. Serve hot or room temperature.