Zucchini, Parmesan and Potato Latkes
Provided by: Sandy Gluck
Zucchini's texture is perfect for latkes. A liberal sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and oregano gives these pancakes an Italian spin.
- 2 medium zucchini (12 ounces total), shredded on large holes of a box grater
- 8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and shredded on large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 250F. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Place the zucchini and potato in a colander set over a bowl to drain. With your fingers squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini and potato until dry. Discard any liquid.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add the Parmesan, flour, egg, salt, and oregano; toss well to combine.
- In a large, heavy skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium. Using a 1/4-cup measure, place 3 to 4 mounds of zucchini mixture in the pan, flattening with a metal spatula to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side, lowering the heat if over browning. Transfer latkes to rack set on baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining mixture, adding remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil for remaining batches as needed.