Joe Paterno Statement: Penn State Football Coach Address Sandusky Abuse Scandal, Retirement

11/09/2011 10:56 am ET | Updated Jan 09, 2012

After days of shocking revelations about the sexual assaults allegedly committed by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, the patriarch of the Penn State football program, Joe Paterno, announced on Wednesday that he will retire at the end of the season.

An iconic presence in college football for decades before the recent scandal threatened to irrevocably alter his legacy, Paterno issued a statement shortly after the announcement:

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

11/18/2011 3:24 PM EST

@ Ben_Jones88 :

According to the letter, the NCAA first contacted Penn State about these issues on November 5th.

11/18/2011 3:24 PM EST

@ Ben_Jones88 :

Bylaws in question include: 19.01.2, 10.1, and Institutional control which is found in (2.1, 6.01.1 and 6.4)

11/18/2011 3:23 PM EST

@ Ben_Jones88 :

The questions surround these issues : Institutional control, monitoring future actions, the actions of the accused, and general compliance

11/18/2011 3:23 PM EST

@ Ben_Jones88 :

The NCAA has launched an investigation of Penn State. University officials will have to answer several questions by December 16th.

11/18/2011 3:23 PM EST

NCAA Investigation

NCAA President Mark Emmert sent a letter to Penn State notifying the University that they will launch an investigation into their athletic programs.

"I am writing to notify you that the NCAA will examine Penn State's exercise of institutional control over its intercollegiate athletics programs, as well as the actions, and inactions, of relevant responsible personnel," Emmert wrote. "We recognize that there are ongoing federal and state investigations and the NCAA does not intend to interfere with those probes."

11/15/2011 6:45 PM EST

@ Ben_Jones88 :

It took Sandusky more time to answer "Are you attracted to boys" than to finish that McQueary interview.

11/15/2011 6:39 PM EST

Quick Interview

@ Ben_Jones88 :

The interview has started. It is now over.

11/15/2011 6:35 PM EST

Great Interview...

@ PeteThamelNYT :

So much for that McQueary interview. Bad job by CBS promoting it. That was a no comment.

11/15/2011 6:34 PM EST

McQueary Speaks

Barely... Basically, McQueary said he won't talk until it all plays out and that was it. Great promotion by CBS..

11/15/2011 6:31 PM EST

More Victims

CBS Evening News reports that more victims have come forward in the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse case.