Home-Style Pancakes with Blueberry Butter
Provided by: Taste Editors
Recipe courtesy of Candle 79 Cookbook by Joy Pierson, Angel Ramos and Jorge Pineda/Ten Speed Press, 2011.
- BLUEBERRY BUTTER
- 1 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit, for accompaniment
- Maple syrup, for accompaniment
- To make the fruit butter, put the buttery spread in a blender. Add the blueberries and process until well incorporated. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and egg replacer in a large bowl and stir to combine. In another bowl, whisk together the soy milk, melted buttery spread, and vanilla and add to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Spray a large nonstick sauté pan with canola oil cooking spray and heat the pan over medium heat. Drop large spoonfuls of batter into the pan, leaving room for the pancakes to expand. Cook until the bottoms are golden and bubbles are popping to the surface, 1 or 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook the second side until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with the fruit butter, fresh fruit, and maple syrup.