A lot of the things that make the holidays so merry -- like poinsettias, chocolate and macadamia nuts -- could be harmful to your pet's health.
While those holiday plants, such as poinsettias, holly and mistletoe won't necessarily be dangerous to your pet, they could cause the animal to have an upset stomach (accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea), said Dr. Tim Evans, DVM, MS, PhD, in the above video.
Chocolate is also toxic to pets, but some kinds are more toxic than others, and smaller dogs are more likely to succumb to the toxic effects than larger dogs, he said.
All in all, if you think your pet has consumed a toxic substance, it's important to call your veterinarian right away -- the vet will let you know how to best proceed, whether it involves steps you can take at home, or bringing in your pet for a medical examination or tests. Check out the advice above.
We’re basically your best friend… with better taste. Learn more