Yes, most of the foods on this list need to be eaten in massive amounts to cause a reaction; however toxins are present in these everyday foods and can make you sick.
Just a few uncooked red kidney beans can cause severe nausea and vomiting, due to the lectin that is naturally found in the bean; proper soaking and cooking eliminate the toxin.
Brazil nuts contain radioactive radium in amounts 1,000 times higher than in other foods; not because of radium in the soil, but due to the extensive root system of the trees which can live hundreds of years. While the percentage is higher than other foods, the radium consumed in a small amount of nuts has no effect.
Most of these foods are fine to eat, especially when cooked properly and eaten in moderation. Just stay away from puffer fish and try not to overdose on Nutmeg.
Check out these varieties of poisonous mushroom:
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more