Huffpost WorldPost

Mohamed Merah, Alleged Toulouse Shooter, Was On US No-Fly List

Posted: Updated:
MOHAMED MERAH NO FLY
This undated and unlocated frame grab provided Wednesday, March 21, 2012, by French TV station France 2 shows Mohamed Merah, the suspect in the killing of 3 paratroopers, 3 children and a rabbi in recent days in France. (AP Photo/France 2) | AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. counterterrorism official says the man suspected in the deaths of seven people in France was on the list of known or suspected terrorists who are prohibited from flying to the United States.

The counterterrorism official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation, says the suspected shooter, Mohamed Merah, had been on the no-fly list since 2010.

The U.S. no-fly list includes thousands of known or suspected terrorists. Most of the people on the list are foreign.

Merah was killed Thursday after a 32-hour standoff with French authorities.

The seven slayings, carried out in three motorcycle shooting attacks, are believed to be the first killings inspired by Islamic radical motives in France since the September 2001 attacks on the United States.

all-also-on-huffpost

of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Toulouse Armed Stand-Off: Gunman Mohammed Merah In Shoot ...

Toulouse shooting suspect dead after 30-hour siege - Thursday 22 ...

Gunman dies in hail of bullets as French siege ends | Reuters

Gunman Mohammed Merah was on US "no-fly" list (video)

Gunman Mohammed Merah was on US "no-fly" list (video)

France Shooting Suspect Killed in Police Raid

French shooting suspect killed in siege was on US no-fly list, official says ...

French standoff ends with suspect shot in the head