A Missouri legislator's Facebook post -- shared on the timelines of other lawmakers -- contains a "California to Texas" translation guide that characterizes same-sex marriage as "legalized perversion" and a "multicultural community" as a "high-crime area."
State Rep. Donna Lichtenegger (R-Jackson) posted the list on her Facebook wall yesterday afternoon, sharing it with at least two other lawmakers -- Rep. Charlie Davis (R-Webb City) and House Majority Leader Tim Jones (R-Eureka). The post lists phrases from California, then the meaning of the phrase in Texas.
"Due to the large number of jobs moving from California to Texas, Texas has compiled a "Californian to Texan" translation guide," the post reads.
The 31 phrases on the list are:
California to Texas
- Arsenal of Weapons - Gun Collection
- Delicate Wetlands - Swamp
- Undocumented Worker - Illegal Alien
- Cruelty-Free Materials - Synthetic Fiber
- Assault and Battery - Attitude Adjustment
- Heavily Armed - Well Protected
- Narrow-Minded - Righteous
- Taxes or Your Fair Share - Coerced Theft
- Commonsense Gun Control - Gun Confiscation Plot
- Illegal Hazardous Explosives - Fireworks for Stump Removal
- Nonviable Tissue Mass - Unborn Baby
- Equal Access to Opportunity - Socialism
- Multicultural Community - High Crime Area
- Fairness or Social Progress - Marxism
- Upper Class or "The Rich" - Self-Employed
- Progressive, Change - Big Government Scheme
- Homeless or Disadvantaged - Bums or Welfare Leeches
- Sniper Rifle - Scoped Deer Rifle
- Investment For The Future - Higher Taxes
- Heathcare Reform - Socialized Medicine
- Truants - Homeschoolers
- Victim or Oppressed - Criminal or Lazy Do-For-Nothing
- High Capacity Magazine - Standard Capacity Magazine
- Religious Zealot - Church-Going
- Reintroduced Wolves - Sheep and Deer Killers
- Fair Trade Coffee - Overpriced Yuppie Coffee
- Exploiters or "The Rich" - Employed or Land Owner
- The Gun Lobby - NRA Members
- Assault Weapon Fiscal Stimulus - Semi-Auto (Grandpas's M1 Carbine)
- Same Sex Marriage - Legalized Perversion
- Mandated Eco-Friendly Lighting - Chinese Mercury-Laden Light Bulbs
Lichtenegger could not immediately be reached for comment. While her Facebook page said she posted it on Davis' and Jones' Facebook pages, Fired Up Missouri reports that she also posted it on the page of Rep. Anne Zerr (R-St. Charles). Jones and Zerr could not be reached for comment, but Davis said he did not realize Lichtenegger had posted it on his Facebook account until contacted by The Huffington Post.
"I can't help what other people post on things. I would not have posted it," said Davis, who ultimately did remove the post from his page.
He said that he thinks Lichtenegger, with whom he has shared office space in the Capitol in Jefferson City in the past, posted it as a joke, but he has not discussed it with her. He does not go on Facebook regularly, Davis said.
Davis, who said that Lichtenegger is allowed to post it under the First Amendment, read through the list commenting on some posts. He called the assault-and-battery post "silly" and the "arsenal of weapons" post "funny." He did say he believes health care reform is socialized medicine.
Davis called back the Huffington Post several minutes later Friday afternoon to note that he removed Lichtenegger's post from his Facebook account because he is a "devout Christian."
This is not Lichtenegger's first run-in with Facebook. Last year, she denied posting a comment praising lobbyists for giving her free stuff, saying that her account was hacked after using an unprotected Internet connection in the Capitol. Another Republican lawmaker told stltoday.com that his account was hacked with the same posting.
Lictenegger was first elected to the House in 2010, after 37 years as a dental hygienist. Her legislative proposals have included a bill to make it tougher to mine near a school or cemetery and a bill requiring spas to have defibrillators. Her official biography notes meeting former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, as a life highlight.
Related on HuffPost:
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more