Creamy White Asparagus Soup
Provided by: Joseph Erdos, Gastronomer's Guide
This soup recipe highlights the delicate flavor of white asparagus
- 2 bunches white asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 small spring onions, white part only, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 cup light cream or milk
- fine sea salt
- steamed white asparagus tups, for garnish
- Trim tough ends from asparagus spears. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the lower 2/3 of each spear. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Warm oil in a small pot or saucepan until hot. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover partially, and lower to a simmer. Cook until asparagus is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Off from the heat, add cream. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until silky smooth. Season with salt. Serve hot or chilled. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and steamed white asparagus tips.