In my "Mondays With Marlo" interview with Colin Cowie, a viewer wrote in asking for tips on how to keep costs down, but still have an elegant and tasteful wedding. As always Colin had lots of ideas, and here are some of his brilliant suggestions:
- First of all, you have to think that most weddings take place on a Saturday. There are only 52 Saturdays in a year, so that is the day when all your top quality vendors are invariably booked and charging a premium. So first think of a different date. If you were to do it on a Friday or a Thursday or do a Sunday morning reception you’re going to get better vendors and be able to negotiate a much better price.
- Deejays are tomorrow’s rock stars, so rather than working with a live band, work with a deejay and the big trend we’re seeing today is when the deejay works with a rock violinist or a percussionist or a saxophonist to come and add one or two more elements to it.
- Instead of doing the sit-down dinner you could possibly think of maybe having a cocktail party or doing a reception where you have small stations of food. This way you don’t have to do seating for everyone. It would be kind of like a more lounge environment.
- If you do a brunch in the morning on a Sunday you don’t have to necessarily end up spending money on lighting and the big dance floor and all the other things.
- Instead of doing the big wedding cake perhaps you do cupcakes; maybe do a big croquembouche, something along those lines.
Simple and stylish! Here are some more tips from Colin on entertaining and weddings:
Add Marlo On Facebook:
Follow Marlo on Twitter:
Sign up to receive my email newsletter each week - It will keep you up-to-date on upcoming articles, Mondays with Marlo guests, videos, and more!
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more