A University of West Georgia student contracted a virulent flesh-eating bacteria in her leg after a fall from a zip-line went horribly wrong.
Aimee Copeland, 24, was zip-lining during a kayaking trip with friends in Carrollton, Ga, when she fell and lacerated her leg. After getting several stitches in her leg, doctors realized Copeland had contracted a flesh-eating bacteria called necrotizing fasciitis in the wound site.
According to the Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation, NF is a bacterial infection that, "gets into the body, quickly reproduces, and gives off toxins and enzymes that destroy the soft tissue and fascia, which quickly becomes gangrenous (dead)." In order to save someone that has NF, the "gangrenous tissue must be surgically removed."
In Copeland's case, her leg eventually had to be amputated at the hip.
After the amputation, Copeland condition worsened. On Friday, she went into cardiac arrest, but was resuscitated. However, on Tuesday, she was able to move her arms and breath on her own, although doctors still might have to amputate the tips of her fingers and toes. Her family has created a facebook group called "Believe and pray for a miracle to happen for Aimee Copeland" which accepts donations.
More:Aimee Copeland Georgia Aimee Copeland Aimee Copeland Zip Line Aimee Copeland Flesh Eating Bacteria Aimee Copeland University Of West Georgia
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more