iOS app Android app More

Al Qaeda Bomb Plot: Undercover Agent In Foiled Plot Was Reportedly British Citizen

Reuters  |  Posted: 05/11/2012 8:09 am Updated: 05/11/2012 12:25 pm


By William Maclean

LONDON, May 11 (Reuters) - Counter-terrorism experts expressed concern on Friday over U.S. leaks about an undercover operation that foiled a suicide bomb plot, saying its exposure may deter agents from volunteering for the risky job of infiltrating al Qaeda's network.

While electronic methods are increasingly used in espionage operations of all kinds, human intelligence remains crucial because al Qaeda's best operatives try to avoid the use of any electronic communications to minimise the chance of detection.

British intelligence played a central role in the operation targeting al Qaeda's Yemeni offshoot, counter-terrorism sources told Reuters, by recruiting the informant who obtained the bomb and handed it to Western intelligence officers.

The undercover operative in the plot linked to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, was a British citizen, possibly of Saudi origin, the sources said on condition of anonymity. The informant was working in cooperation with Britain's two principal spy agencies.

The operation appears to have been a joint venture between the British, Saudi Arabian and U.S. intelligence services, some analysts say, and its exposure in the U.S. media has caused widespread concern in the U.S. intelligence community.

The Saudis and British appear to be concerned too.

"The Saudis are not happy with the leaking of this information," said Mustafa Alani, a security analyst with good contacts among Gulf Arab governments.

"It is potentially harmful for future operations. And it is the Saudis who have the agents on the ground to get these things done."

A spokesman for Prime Minister David Cameron declined to discuss the matter, but said: "Clearly we think that sensitive information should be protected."

Nigel Inkster, a former assistant chief of Britain's Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), said in a Twitter message: "The revelations about the British agent in AQ (al Qaeda) remind us that Beltway leaking is a major security threat."

Patrick Mercer, a British Conservative Party lawmaker and a specialist in security matters, said: "If this is not a deliberate disclosure done for an operational purpose, then it is a shocking example of a leak posing risks to highly sensitive and important work."

The operation appears to have been a notable counter-terrorism success for the United States and its allies, with the adroit use of an agent inside al Qaeda ranks likely to provide particular satisfaction to Washington two and a half years after the second most deadly attack on the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

On Dec. 30 2009, a Jordanian double agent, Humam Khalil abu Mulal al-Balawi, blew himself up inside Forward Operating Base Chapman, a well-fortified U.S. compound in Khost province in southeast Afghanistan, killing seven CIA officers and a Jordanian intelligence officer.

The attack showed militants were keener to kill Western spies than to infiltrate their networks, underlining the daunting challenge for Western services seeking to plant an informant among al Qaeda's senior ranks.

And yet the disclosure of the latest operation may make it less likely that others will come forward to undertake such undercover work against al Qaeda in future, analysts say.


INTERNAL REVIEW

In the latest case, Alani said AQAP had been duped into recruiting the informant because, among other things, he held a Western passport and appeared to have a militant cast of mind, making it easier for him to be allowed to board a U.S.-bound plane without undue suspicion.

But by definition individuals who have the temperament, background and training to infiltrate the militant network are few.

This is not the first time such leaks have disrupted operations involving British and Saudi intelligence.

The most notable case where U.S. leaks potentially jeopardised a British investigation was that of an al Qaeda plot to blow up financial targets in the United States and carry out "dirty bomb" attacks in Britain.

The eight-man cell, now serving long jail terms, were arrested in daylight swoops by British police in 2004 after U.S. officials revealed details about a Pakistani agent who was involved in a sting operation.

The men had been under police surveillance and the release of the Pakistan agent's name in U.S. newspapers prompted the British to act faster than they wanted.

Security analysts say British police were also forced to arrest suspects believed to be planning to down transatlantic airliners in 2006 earlier than they had wanted because U.S. security agencies were putting them under pressure.

A lack of evidence meant the suspects were not initially convicted of being involved in planning to target airliners and led to a number of re-trials.

In a speech in 2010, SIS chief John Sawers said: "Agents take serious risks and make sacrifices to help our country. In return, we give them a solemn pledge: that we shall keep their role secret."

Secret organisations needed to stay secret, he said, even if they occasionally presented "a public face".

"Agents take risks. They will not work with SIS, will not pass us the secrets they hold, unless they can trust us not to expose them. Foreign partners need to have certainty that what they tell us will remain secret - not just most of the time, but always."

The director of U.S. National Intelligence has opened an "internal review" of U.S. intelligence agencies to determine whether there were leaks of classified information related to the underwear bomb operation.

Separately, the FBI is conducting a separate criminal investigation into leaks, a law enforcement official said in Washington. (Additional reporting by Michael Holden and Mark Hosenball in Washington; Editing by Andrew Osborn)

Loading Slideshow...
  • September 2009

    Najibullah Zazi, an Afghan-born man who is a permanent U.S. resident and was living in Colorado, plotted a suicide bomb attack on the New York subway system. He received training from al Qaeda in the remote Waziristan region of Pakistan, which borders Afghanistan. He drove to New York in preparation for the attack but discarded bomb-making materials after learning he was under surveillance from a local imam. He was arrested later in Colorado and pleaded guilty to the plot in February. His sentencing has been postponed until June and he has been cooperating with authorities.

  • November 2009

    U.S. Major Nidal Malik Hasan, a Muslim born in the United States, is accused of killing 13 and wounding 32 during a shooting rampage at the U.S. Army installation in Fort Hood, Texas. U.S. authorities learned later he had been communicating with the Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who is an American but left the country soon after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and has since encouraged attacks against his homeland. Al-Awlaki is believed to be hiding in Yemen. Hasan is facing trial in a military court.

  • December 2009

    Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, originally from Nigeria, boarded a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas Day and allegedly tried to detonate a bomb sewn into his underwear. The explosives, PETN, failed to detonate fully and passengers and crew subdued him. Abdulmutallab began cooperating with U.S. authorities. Officials say he told them he had received the bomb and training from AQAP in Yemen. He is facing trial in a U.S. court in 2011, but he suggested during a recent court hearing he could plead guilty to some of the charges.

  • May 2010

    A Pakistani-born U.S. citizen, Faisal Shahzad, drove a sport utility vehicle packed with a crude bomb into the heart of Times Square in New York on a crowded Saturday evening. The bomb failed to go off and was discovered by passersby. He was caught days later as he tried to fly to Dubai. Shahzad admitted to receiving bomb-making training and funding from Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced this month to life in a U.S. prison.

  • October 2010

    After U.S. officials received a tip from Saudi Arabia, two packages containing explosive materials destined for Jewish centers in Chicago were intercepted by authorities in England and Dubai. The explosives were tentatively identified as PETN, a strong explosive used in the past by the al Qaeda affiliate in Yemen, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, AQAP. Two women in Yemen are in custody who are believed to have delivered the packages to the UPS and FedEx offices for shipping.

  • February 2011

    A Saudi-born student, Khalid Aldawsari, was arrested in Texas after FBI agents were tipped off by a chemical supplier and freight company that he was trying to buy materials that could be used build improvised explosive devices. Authorities discovered he had purchased some chemicals and was trying acquire others used to manufacture explosives. He also drew up a list of possible targets he had e-mailed to himself, which included the Dallas home of former President George W. Bush as well as hydroelectric dams, nuclear power plants and a nightclub, according to an FBI affidavit.

  • May 2012

    The CIA thwarted a plot by al Qaeda's affiliate in Yemen to destroy a U.S.-bound airliner around the one-year anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden.


FOLLOW WORLDPOST

Filed by Eline Gordts  |