Sweet Southern Egg Salad
Provided by: EatingWell
total prep 132 calories/serving
Crunchy celery, gherkin pickles and sweet onion flavor this Southern-style egg salad recipe. Serve on pumpernickel toast or a bed of lettuce.
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet gherkin pickles
- 3 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- 1. Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, pepper and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2. Halve eggs and discard 4 of the yolks (or save for another use). Add whites and the remaining 4 yolks to the bowl and mash to desired consistency. Gently stir in celery, gherkins and onion.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.