ORLANDO, Fla. -- A medical examiner says an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort's miniature golf course near Orlando.
Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond, according to the Associated Press. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.
The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.
The resort released a statement reporting that a third guest was also injured, adding, "The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not re-open until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time," Reuters reported.
A building safety department official told WKMG that the electrocution may have been caused by a possible faulty pump connected to the wrong circuit breaker.
The station also reported that the resort's golf course was connected to several electrical code violations.
Authorities say the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother.
Also on HuffPost:
More:11 Year Old Girl Dies Playing Mini Golf Bad News Orange Lake Resort 11 Year Old Girl Electrocuted Playing Mini Golf
Never miss a thing. Sign up for up-to-the-minute breaking news alerts delivered straight to your inbox. Learn more