Joan Smalls' rapid rise to become one of fashion's most influential models has been impressive, to say the least.
We love that the Puerto Rican beauty can work the Victoria's Secret runway in a bedazzled bra set and get more high-fashion in campaigns for Chanel and Fendi. And currently Joan graces the cover of W magazine's July 2012 issue where she was deemed "The New Face of Fashion."
So, in celebration of her 24th birthday we decided to play 20 Questions with Joan to learn more about her super-glamorous life. And we discovered some juicy tidbits, like her must-have beauty products, who makes her favorite jeans, whether she has any celebrity crushes and even what fashion designer she'd want to have create her wedding dress.
1. How does it feel to have been chosen to cover W and be called "The New Face of Fashion?"
It feels fantastic; I'm so honored. Its my birth month so it was a pleasant coincidence. Hopefully the title of “The New Face of Fashion” is very inspiring to those who can identify with being multi-cultural and representing such a beautiful culture. It demonstrates that the world is not one dimensional and that all beauty matters.
2. Describe your perfect day off.
It starts waking up next to my boyfriend on a sunny day and going on a road trip.
3. What are your must-have, can't-live-without beauty products?
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Daily moisturizer with SPF 15, and Sumptuous Mascara
4. What is the best fashion advice you've ever been given?
To give it your all and live for fashion, as advised by Edward Enninful [W's Style and Fashion Director].
5. Who is/are your style inspirations?
The everyday individual that roams the New York, London and Paris city streets.
6. How would you describe your personal style?
Comfortable chic, boyish sexy and classically elegant, depending my mood.
7. Who is your favorite photographer?
That's a tough question because I enjoy working with all of them. At my top are Steven Meisel, Mario Sorrenti, Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott.
8. What is your favorite place you've traveled to?
Tanzania, Africa. It's such a magical place. There is beauty everywhere.
9. Lipstick or lip gloss?
Estee Lauder Nude Rose Lipgloss.
10. Do you have a pet?
Yes, my cat Mr. Grey. I left him in Puerto Rico with my parents.
11. Who are your favorite fashion designers?
Riccardo Tisci, Frida Giannini, Alexander Wang, Prabal Gurung and Rag & Bone.
12. Do you have a signature scent/favorite perfume?
I love sweet smells -- Tom Ford Black Orchid.
14. Favorite food and favorite restaurant?
Spanish (Puerto Rican). My kitchen.
15. What is your favorite TV show?
"Secret Millionaire" on ABC. I think this is such an inspiring show in the sense that you get to see rather affluent people give back to a community out of their own pockets to make a difference in someone else's life.
16. Who makes your favorite jeans?
Rag & Bone and Earnest Sewn.
17. Which designer would you want to create your wedding dress?
Riccardo Tisci from Givenchy -- it will be phenomenal!
18. Who is your favorite shoe designer?
Christian Louboutin (as a safe choice) and Tabitha Simmons.
19. Do you have any celebrity crushes?
Not at all.
20. What are the best and worst parts of being a model?
Best part is that its unpredictable and every day is different (no routine) with all of the traveling and working with the greatest creative entities in the world. The worst is traveling to amazing places and not getting to enjoy them with someone you love, or not seeing your destination 'cause the trip is so short.
Happy 24th Birthday Joan! Check out our favorite style moments from the stunning model in the slideshow below:
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more