electrocuted pigs

A livestock farmer in southern China recently received a shock when her entire pen of pigs was electrocuted by a bolt of lightning.

Austrian Times reports that Chen Lin, a farmer from Loucun in Guangong province, watched her herd of more than 50 pigs die after being shocked with 300,000 volts of electricity.

"I saw them all shaking and screaming terribly but there was nothing I could do," she told the paper. "I was only a few feet away from being electrocuted too."

The incident occurred during a thunderstorm that shattered the roof of the pigs' enclosure. It's believe that the lightning struck the sty's metal frame and a deadly current was carried across the wet floor.

Daily Star has more horrifying images of the incident.