The family of a New York girl who was electrocuted while retrieving a ball from a mini-golf course pond is suing the Florida resort where she died.
Ashton Jojo, 11, was killed at Orange Lake Resort in Orlando in June when she stepped into a 2-foot-deep pond.
Building-safety personnel said a faulty pump, connected to the wrong circuit breaker, likely caused an electric current to be sent through the water, Reuters reported after the incident.
Now Jojo's family is seeking $27 million in damages from the time-share resort, their attorney Ira Leesfield told The Huffington Post.
PHOTOS: (Story Continues Below)
"The family is doing horribly," Leesfield said. "All the hopes and dreams they had for their only daughter -- gone."
The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, claims that the resort arbitrarily chose workers to install grounding and pump equipment, rather than have it professionally done. In addition, the resort's employees failed to help the girl while she was "unable to move and collapsed in the energized water, thus suffering continuous electrocution," the complaint claims.
"[The resort] has been cited for a violation, even after the incident," Leesfield said. "They used the wrong equipment, they didn't use a licensed electrician. They just did it in-house the cheapest way possible. They were negligent."
The damages include mental pain and suffering, the "loss of Ashton's companionship," medical expenses and funeral costs.
The resort has 20 days to respond to the claim. Representatives at Orange Lake Resort said that the company won't comment on pending litigation.
In an email to the Huffington Post, club spokeswoman Stacey Sutherland wrote: "Our hearts go out to the Jojo family during this difficult time."
Update: An earlier version of this story stated that the lawsuit sought $48 million in damages. The law firm contacted The Huffington Post to report that Ashton Jojo's family is instead seeking $27 million.