A downtown Chicago hotel is spreading the message to recent guests that they may have been exposed to a bacteria that causes respiratory infections.
Three recent cases of a fast-spreading, sometimes fatal disease have been traced to the JW Marriott hotel at 151 W. Adams St., the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
The bacteria, Legionella, spreads through the inhalation of contaminated water vapor, and can cause Legionnaire's disease, a severe form of pneumonia, Fox Chicago reports. Symptoms include headache, chills, chest pain and fever.
The disease often mirrors regular pneumonia, and can only be confirmed by a urine test, infectious disease expert Dr. John Segreti told CBS Chicago.
Dr. Kathy Ritger with the Department of Public Health told WBEZ that not all exposures lead to illness, but any recent guests experiencing respiratory problems should seek medical attention.
A hotline has been set up by Chicago Department of Public Health to answer questions from people who may have been exposed, according to ABC Chicago. That phone number is (312) 746-4835 during Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.