California is the land of milk and honey for political candidates. The Golden State has been more lucrative for both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney individually than any other state in the country.
Since the start of 2011, Californian rainmakers have donated $30,592,451 to Obama and $17,568,562 to Romney, based on Federal Election Commission data released on Aug. 21.
So who are these generous Cali political junkies? The celebrity-studded slideshow below shows who the donors are, where they live and where they work, based on data sent to The Huffington Post from the Center for Responsive Politics.
About one-third of the 30 donors below gave primarily to Republican causes, including the two biggest donors in the entire state. This follows the national trend that Romney receives a higher percentage of large individual contributions than his opponent, while Obama receives a higher percentage of small individual contributions.
Nationally, since Jan. 2011, Obama has raised $348,413,128, and Romney has raised $193,373,762.
HuffPost Live will be taking a comprehensive look at the corrupting influence of money on our politics Aug. 30 and Sept. 6 from 12-4 p.m. EDT and 6-10 p.m. EDT. Click here to check it out -- and join the conversation.
Hey politicians, here are the top Californians to make your friends:
Totals include contributions to candidates, committees, super PACs and outside groups combined. Percentages represent how much of the total went to Democratic (Dem) or Republican (Rep) candidates or groups.
30. Marcy Carsey - $309,121, 100% Dem
Company: Carsey-Werner LLC Home: Los Angeles, CA
29. Paul & Michelle Zygielbaum - $316,100, 100% Dem
Company: C8 Medisensors Home: Santa Rosa, CA
28. David C. Bohnett - $361,600, 85% Dem
Company: Baroda Ventura Home: Beverly Hills, CA
27. J.J. Abrams & Kathleen McGrath - $371,600, 100% Dem
Company: Bad Robot Productions (Producer) Home: Beverly Hills, CA
26. Alan F. Horn & Cindy Harrell - $395,275, 100% Dem
Company: Warner Brothers Home: Los Angeles, CA
25. Richard W. Boyce - $406,040, 99% Rep
Company: <a href="http://www.tpg.com/" target="_hplink">TPG Creative Capital</a> Home: Portola Valley, CA
24. Charles B. & Ann. L. Johnson - $406,912, 98% Rep
Company: Franklin Resources Home: Hillsborough, CA
23. Jesse & Melinda Rogers - $415,000, 95% Rep
Company: Altamont Capital Home: Atherton, CA Jesse Rogers at the Private Equity Analyst Conference.
22. Howard H. & Gretchen Leach - $432,100, 99% Rep
Company: Leach Capital Home: San Francisco, CA Howard H. Leach and his wife (L) as they attend the inaugeration of 3 fountains at Versailles Castle on June 12, 2004 in Versailles, France.
21. Sandor Straus- $440,125, 97% Dem
Company: Merfin LLC Home: Lafayette, CA
20. David Desjardins- $524,100, 100% Dem
Profession: Consultant Home: Burlingame, CA
19. Charles R. & Helen O. Schwab - $527,998, 97% Rep
Company: Charles Schwab & Co Home: San Francisco, CA
18. Stephen L. Bing - $532,000, 100% Dem
Company: Shangri-La Entertainment Home: Encino, CA
17. Geoff & Anne Palmer - $578,100, 100% Rep
Company: <a href="http://www.ghpalmer.com/home.html" target="_hplink">G.H. Palmer Associates </a> Home: Los Angeles, CA
16. John D. & Marcia L. Goldman - $580,100, 100% Dem
Company: Pace School Home: Atherton, CA John D. Goldman at the 2008 Goldman Environmental Prize award ceremony in San Francisco.
15. Lawrence & Suzanne Hess - $719,650, 94% Dem
Company: Lehbros Ltd Home: San Diego, CA
14. Terrence R. & Barbara Caster - $723,450, 99% Rep
Company: Caster Group Home: San Diego, CA
13. Howard & Susan L. Groff - $735,000, 100% Rep
Company: Northwest Excavating Home: Northridge, CA
12. Stephen M. Silberstein- $750,600, 100% Dem
Retired Home: Belvedere, CA
11. Robert D. Arnott - $858,400, 100% Rep
Company: Research Affiliates LLC Home: Newport Beach, CA
10. Morgan Freeman - $1,001,000 - 100% Dem
Profession: Actor Home: Los Angeles, CA
9. Bill Maher- $1,010,000, 100% Dem
Profession: Actor Home: Los Angeles, CA
8. Kareem Ahmed - $1,128,300, 100% Dem
Company: Landmark Medical Management Home: Racho Cucamonga, CA
7. Haim & Cheryl Saban - $1,166,073, 100% Dem
Company: Saban Capital Group Home: Los Angeles, CA
6. Wayne D. Jordan & M. Quinn DeLaney - $1,245,200, 100% Dem
Company: Jordan Real Estate Invest/Akonadi Fdtn Home: Oakland, CA Credit: <em><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oaklandlocal/4708869922/in/set-72157624169308487/" target="_hplink">Oakland Local, Flickr</a>. </em>
5. Anne G. Earhart - $1,450,300, 100% Dem
Profession: Investor Home: Corona Del Mar, CA
4. Irwin M. & Joan K. Jacobs $2,205,300, 99% Dem
Company: Qualcomm Inc Home: La Jolla, CA
3. Jeffrey & Marilyn Katzenberg - $2,436,300, 100% Dem
Company: Dreamworks Animation SKG Home: Los Angeles, CA
2. A. Jerrold & Margaret Perenchio - $2,683,000, 100% Rep
Company: Chartwell Partners Home: Los Angeles, CA File photo of A. Jerrold Perenchio from 1971.
1. Peter A. Thiel - $4,794,700, 100% Rep
Company: Clarium Capital Management Home: San Francisco, CA