One KFC patron in central China was so outraged by one location's disregard for his complaint about its hygiene levels that he staged a protest outside it.
Yang Lin, a 30-year-old businessman, lined up several family-size buckets and warning signs outside a KFC restaurant in Wuhan, Hubei province in retribution for lack of action against his allegation that a chef prepared food without gloves or a face shield.
Austrian Times writes that Lin attempted to spend $22,363 (£14,000) on the stunt, although other outlets report the KFC refused to give Yang more than 22 buckets.
Yang explained he was thankful he had the means to afford the protest:
I wanted to buy all their food so they couldn't poison anyone else and I wanted to warn people what sort of food they were eating ... I'm lucky to have made money in business so I can afford this protest. At first KFC wanted my money, but soon they were begging me to take it back."
He agreed to remove the buckets only after the restaurant managers publicly apologized and agreed to improve the restaurant's hygiene levels.
The Daily Mail explains that, according to Yang, the manager was originally reluctant to apologize and said the cook forgot to wear gloves because there were too many customers in the store at the time.
YUM! Restaurants Investment Company Limited, KFC's parent company in China, told China Daily that they will discipline the workers and appreciate Yang's actions.
Also on HuffPost:
11. Blue Plastic Chips Found In Ground Beef
This was by no means one of the most dangerous food safety incidents of the year, but it was <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/blue-plastic-chips-ground-beef_n_932889.html" target="_hplink">one of the strangest</a>.
10. Metal Fragments Found In Craisins
<a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/craisin-recall-ocean-spray-metal-shards_n_1116417.html" target="_hplink">Metal fragments</a> seem worse than blue plastic chips, right? This one also was non-lethal.
9. Listeria Found In Keebler's Factory
Kellogg's shut down production at its Keebler and Famous Amos factory after listeria was found on the cookies in June.
8. Norovirus Found In Oysters
A shocking <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/29/three-quarters-british-oysters-norovirus-winter-vomiting-bug_n_1118617.html" target="_hplink">three-quarters of oysters in UK</a> were found to contain food poisoning agent norovirus in a November food safety investigation.
7. Salmonella Found In Pine Nuts
42 people fell sick after eating <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/27/wegmans-pine-nuts-salmonella_n_1035091.html" target="_hplink">salmonella-tainted pine nuts</a> bought at Wegman's Supermarkets in October. Two-and-a-half tons of the nuts were then recalled from stores.
6. Radiation Found In Fish
Compared to the human tragedy that ensued after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan early this year, this seems small. But discovering that many fish in the Pacific had been <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/radiation-in-japans-fish-_n_845546.html" target="_hplink">contaminated with nuclear radiation</a> sent a jolt throughout the entire fishing industry -- and may still have effects on cancer rates down the line.
5. Salmonella Found In Ground Turkey
Dozens of Americans got <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/ground-turkey-salmonella-california-death_n_916711.html" target="_hplink">salmonella after eating ground turkey</a> from a tainted batch this August.
4. All Sorts Of Food Safety Crazy In China
Multiple deadly food safety incidents <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/china-food-safety_n_943903.html" target="_hplink">cropped up in China</a> this year -- including one, in February, that affected over 100 schoolchildren, some of whom are pictured above. But the Chinese government struck back against food poisoning in a big way: it ruled that the <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/30/china-death-penalty-food-safety_n_868742.html" target="_hplink">punishment for serious infractions would be death</a>.
3. E. Coli Found In Sprouts
When it comes to food safety, early summer and late spring were dominated by one story: Europe's gigantic E. coli outbreak, in which <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/severity-europe-e-coli-outbreak_n_869715.html" target="_hplink">over 1000 were sickened</a>. Part of the fascination was tied up in the mystery of the outbreak's source... people couldn't figure out the vector of the poisoning until finally scientists isolated one German farm's sprouts as the likely culprit.
2. More Than 150 Die Of Adulterated Alcohol
In what appears to be the deadliest food poisoning outbreak of the year, more than <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/india-bootleg-booze-deaths_n_1153222.html" target="_hplink">170 people died after drinking adulterated alcohol</a> in one district in eastern India.
1. Listeria Found In Cantaloupes
The deadliest food poisoning outbreak in a century of American history brought the country to its knees, with <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/listeria-cantaloupe-outbreak-over_n_1137920.html" target="_hplink">dozens dead after ingesting listeria</a> along with cantaloupes from Jensen Farms outside Denver.