Huffpost Weird News

Woman Swallows Toothpick; Suffers Severe Liver Abcess, Blood Poisoning

Posted: Updated:

Medical researchers have made an important discovery: Swallowing toothpicks whole is not a good idea.

A British woman, whose name has not been released, developed severe blood poisoning and a liver abscess after inadvertently swallowing a toothpick, according to the BBC. In addition, the toothpick perforated her gullet before lodging in a lobe of her liver.

The 45-year-old patient carried around the toothpick inside her for months and began to suffer multiple organ failure, KIAH reported. Doctors initially diagnosed her with a stomach infection and put her on antibiotics -- to no effect.

It wasn't until doctors finally did an ultrasound that they discovered a large abscess on her liver and the toothpick that was causing her problems.

The toothpick was removed from her liver using keyhole surgery, according to the Hindustan Times, and the patient is now back to normal.

It may seem hard to swallow, but a toothpick isn't the strangest thing that people have orally ingested.

In August, a 30-year-old Atlanta woman with a history of bulimia accidentally swallowed a butter knife while attempting to demonstrate for friends that she no longer had a gag reflex.

That same month, British man Lee Gardner went to a hospital to get a nine-inch plastic fork, which he had swallowed 10 years earlier, removed from his stomach.

Also on The Huffington Post

Wild X-Rays And Medical Photos
Share this
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Woman swallows toothpick, suffers severe blood poisoning - Indian ...

Woman unknowingly swallows toothpick, doctors clueless for - KIAH

Swallowed Toothpicks Can Lead to Big Trouble, Experts Warn ...

BBC News - Swallowed toothpick causes blood poisoning

Toothpick the culprit of woman's mysterious liver problems | Fox News

Toothpick Linked to Woman's Severe Blood Poisoning and ...

Woman in intensive care with mystery blood poisoning and multiple ...