DENVER
09/27/2012 06:01 pm ET | Updated Sep 29, 2012

Cinemark Allows Families Of Aurora Shooting Victims To Re-Enter Theater Before Construction Begins

Witnesses and families of victims of the Aurora theater shooting will be allowed to re-enter the theater, according to a report by ABC News.

Cinemark, which owns the Century 16 Theater, asked the Arapahoe County District Attorney's Office to send out an email to families on Thursday offering them a chance to visit the theater before construction begins.

Last week Cinemark announced plans to reopen the theater in 2013. It hasn't been open to the public since the July 20 shooting.

The City of Aurora's Facebook page directed residents to an online survey last month, posing the question of what should be done with the theater. In a statement, Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan said that there had been overwhelming community support to reopen the theater.

"We will always remember those who lost their lives and the many others impacted that day. While no one will ever forget that day, this is another step in the community's healing," Hogan said.

Cinemark has said that the theater will be renovated and set to reopen in time for the New Year.

Photos From The Aurora Theater Shooting

CONVERSATIONS