Mealbreaker (n.): a nasty, non-edible surprise found in food while it is being eaten; often lawsuit-provoking, sometimes fabricated, always disgusting.
Oklahoma City area mother Katherine Ashowo got a scare last week when she bit into a McDonald's cookie and encountered a filling far more dangerous than chocolate chips: a razor-sharp piece of hard clear plastic, which cut her tongue deep enough to draw blood before she could spit it out with the rest of the cookie.
According to News9.com, Ashowo rushed back to the Norman, Okla. location of the fast food chain where she'd bought the cookie, and was told by a manager that they'd found similar shards throughout the most recent shipment of the treats.
Ashowo worried that her kids, who were with her, might have been hurt as well, so she had them checked out by a doctor, but all was well.
She has said that she is not interested in pursuing a lawsuit at this time -- but she did ask for an apology from McDonald's. So far, she hasn't gotten one.
At least she's not alone. Click through our Mealbreakers slideshow below to see other stomach-turning examples of prepared foods gone wrong:
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more