Here's one meal Chicago Public School students should send back:
The AP reported that several high school students in the Grand Crossing neighborhood got sick after eating lunches that may have contained rat droppings this week. The Chicago Tribune reports two students were taken to the hospital after eating contaminated pre-packaged nachos.
Lunchroom staff later found that mice had gotten into a box of bagged nachos after shutting down the kitchen, the Tribune reports.
Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman Marielle Sainvilus says the district immediately closed the kitchen at Emil G. Hirsch Metropolitan High School as soon as officials heard about the incident.
Sainvilus said in an email statement, according to CBS Chicago:
“When the problem was brought to our attention, we took immediate steps to close the kitchen and to provide the students with cold lunches."
Students can try to take heart: the school is being visited by a pest control team Friday after school, and the kitchen is set to be open again on Monday.
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more