DENVER — Prosecutors have added 12 names to the list of people allegedly targeted by the suspect in the Colorado theater shootings, according to documents made public Friday.
James Eagan Holmes originally was charged with 142 counts including murder and attempted murder, alleging he killed 12 people and injured at least 58 in the July 20 shootings.
In September and October, prosecutors filed 24 more counts of attempted murder against Holmes. The names of the alleged victims were redacted from court documents, so the number of additional alleged victims was unknown until Friday.
Holmes, 24, is accused of opening fire in a crowded movie theater in the Denver suburb of Aurora during a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie. He is being held without bail. He hasn't entered a plea.
The newly released documents didn't say whether any of the 12 additional people were injured. Prosecutors declined to comment.
One of the 12, Corbin Dates, told The Associated Press in July he was so close to the gunman that spent cartridges were falling on him.
"Some of it was hitting my leg, and it burned really badly," Dates said at the time.
Another of the newly identified victims, Jamie Rohrs, was in the theater with his fiancée and their two children. Two of the attempted-murder counts in the original criminal complaint allege that Holmes tried to kill Rohrs' fiancée, Patricia Legarreta, and their 4-month-old son, Ethan Rohrs.
The names of the 12 additional alleged victims were caught up in a legal skirmish between attorneys who wanted the identities kept secret and media outlets that argued they should be made public.
In July, when the original criminal complaint was filed, court officials released the names of all 70 people whom Holmes is accused of killing or trying to kill. Two months later, Arapahoe County District Judge William Blair Sylvester granted a request by prosecutors to redact those names from the public file and the court's website.
A lawyer for 21 media organizations including The Associated Press objected, pointing out the original 70 names were already in the public domain.
Sylvester's order on Thursday directed that the original 70 names be returned to the public file and court website and that the 12 additional names be released as well.
The order said withholding the names would be "largely symbolic" because the original 70 were in the public domain and because the media had already identified and interviewed some of the other 12.
Sylvester also decided, for now, not to release information about a package Holmes sent to his psychiatrist before the massacre. He wrote that unsealing details about the package could jeopardize an upcoming hearing on a request by defense attorneys for sanctions against prosecutors.
Defense attorneys claimed authorities had made improper statements about the contents of the package. District Attorney Carol Chambers has asked the judge to reject sanctions because no specific violations were identified.