In unsurprising "Ghostbusters 3" news: According to THR, filming on the sequel has been delayed until fall of 2013, at the earliest.
Per THR, "Ghostbusters 3" -- which would have original director Ivan Reitman behind the camera -- was supposed to start shooting next summer, but was pushed off to the end of the fiscal year (March 31, 2013) due to income troubles at Sony, the studio behind the film.
As the Los Angeles Times notes, Sony's troubles will mean a slightly curtailed film slate: The studio normally releases up to 22 films a year, but could dip down to 18 in 2014 and beyond. That means there's even a chance "Ghostbusters 3" won't go forward, despite having a script from Etan Cohen and Reitman installed as director. In a recent interview with Collider, Reitman said that the classic film could use a restart, though whether "Ghostbusters 3" is a reboot or sequel is unclear.
"Well, I’d like to go forward and make new things," Reitman said. "I think 'Ghostbusters' probably should be remade, if we can get it all right. We’re working on it, so we’ll see."
"Ghostbusters 3" has long been in development; plans for the film were discussed as early as early as 1996. Dan Aykroyd has been a champion of the film, but while he would likely be involved, it's doubtful original star Bill Murray would join him.
Murray had allegedly shredded a copy of the "Ghostbusters 3" script, and wrote a note to Aykroyd saying, "No one wants to pay money to see fat, old men chasing ghosts." Aykroyd, however, denied that incident ever happened. For what it's worth, that version of the film had been thrown out in favor of the new script by Cohen.
For more on Sony, head over to THR.
More:Ghostbusters 3 Ghostbusters 3 Movie Sony Financial Trouble Ghostbusters 3 Delay Ghostbusters 3 Filming Delayed
HuffPost Entertainment is your one-stop shop for celebrity news, hilarious late-night bits, industry and awards coverage and more — sent right to your inbox six days a week. Learn more