Vicente Fernandez's Liver Biopsy Results: It's Not Cancer

11/05/2012 06:29 pm ET | Updated Nov 05, 2012

After cancelling the rest of his farewell tour to undergo surgery for the small lump in his liver, Vicente Fernández received some good news: It’s not cancer.

On Monday, the Spanish news agency Efe reported the Mexican “Rey de la Ranchera” (King of Ranchera Music) is at a Houston hospital currently awaiting further tests to explain the origin of the lump. The 72-year-old artist’s son, singer Alejandro Fernández, was the first to announce the news during a concert in Guadalajara, Mexico on Sunday night.

“Today I received some good news, the best in the world," the younger Fernández told the crowd according to Efe. "We were told that the cyst is not malignant, it will improve and everything is going to be ok.”

“El Potrillo” (the Colt), as Alejandro is known, also mentioned the family had been told there was a 95 percent chance things would go wrong. “Do you know who put the 5 percent? God and faith and the love from all of you,” he said.

During the announcement the singer clarified his father must still undergo additional tests to confirm the diagnosis. “Thank you for your prayers, and keep praying that everything continues to go well,” he added.

Also on HuffPost:

40 Stars You Never Knew Were Mexican

CONVERSATIONS