CRIME

Nathaniel Burris Admits Killing 2 People, Asks For Quick Conviction So He Can Watch Football

11/06/2012 12:32 pm ET

A double-murder suspect defending himself snapped his fingers and told jurors he's guilty, urging them to quickly convict him so he could watch Monday Night Football.

"I did it. So what?" Nathaniel Burris said about the shotgun killing of his ex-girlfriend and her friend at a toll plaza near the San Francisco Bay in 2009, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. "No regrets, no remorse, no mercy."

Burris, 49, also laughed and cursed his victims, Deborah Ross and Ersie Everette III, during Monday's appearance in Contra Costa County courthouse.

His behavior appalled victims' family members who were in attendance, according to the Chronicle.

A prosecutor said that Burris was stung that his long-term relationship with tollbooth operator Ross, 51, had ended and he was jealous of her friendship with Everette, 58, who was studying to be a church pastor, the Contra Costa Times reported.

Although Burris admits to the killing, he disputes the circumstances that surround it.

Burris told the court that Ross and Everette were romantically linked to each other, but their families testified that they were friends who attended the same church. He also claimed Everette had threatened him over the telephone.

Tyrice Ross testified that her sister had been paying for all of Burris' bills, allowing him to live with her rent-free shortly before she ended their 13-year relationship. The woman said her sister had learned that Burris had cheated on her while he was away working as a long-haul trucker. She also told jurors that Burris held Deborah Ross hostage when she tried to move out, only letting her leave when police were called.

From the witness stand, Burris denied that Ross had been moving, even though her belongings had been boxed up. He also deflected questions from prosecutor Harold Jewett by saying that the jury already knows everything they need.

"This is not Sesame Street," Burris said, through a severe speech impediment that made it difficult for jurors and court officials to understand him. "They get it, bro."

Though he hoped to cut the trial short with a quick conviction, the case is not over. Closing arguments were scheduled for Nov. 6, and a sentencing phase will follow if the jury hands down a guilty verdict.

Although Burris has admitted his guilt since he was arrested the day after a 1-day manhunt in 2009, he pleaded not guilty on Nov. 1 to capital murder charges, according to KTVU.

"I have from day one admitted that I was the shooter," Burris said last week.

Three years ago, the judge refused to accept Burris' guilty plea because he hadn't conferred with an attorney. A public defender was appointed to advise him, and yesterday, after huddling with the lawyer, Burris pleaded not guilty in order to hold onto his right to appeal the verdict.

He said he didn't fear the death penalty, the San Jose Mercury-News reported.

"It's nothing to be scared of, not when it takes 30 years to execute you," he said. "Really, I have 30 years to hang out."

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS