ENTERTAINMENT
11/07/2012 07:59 am ET Updated Jan 07, 2013

Nicolas Cage's 'Expendables 3' Role Not Happening Yet According To Sylvester Stallone

Nicolas Cage still isn't part of the "Expendables" franchise. Despite numerous reports to the contrary on news sites earlier this week, Sylvester Stallone told Deadline.com that Cage hasn't agreed to star in "The Expendables 3."

The rumor started because of an interview Stallone had purportedly given to the Spanish-language newspaper El Pais. As it turns out, however, the quotes attributed to Stallone were taken from a press conference for "The Expendables 2" earlier this year. Stallone was merely expressing his interest in working with the eccentric action star, something "Expendables" producer Avi Lerner has done as well.

"We've approached Clint Eastwood to be one of the guys, we've got a character in mind for him," Lerner said to Total Film. "We're talking to Harrison Ford. [And we want] Wesley Snipes when he comes back from prison. I'll give you one more name, we've got Nicolas Cage to play [one of the characters]."

Cage has long been sought to appear in "The Expendables." Back in 2011, Moviehole.net reported that he was going to star in "The Expendables 2," but that never came to pass.

"I haven't really pursued that," Cage said last year when presented with the "Expendables" rumors. "I don't know much about it except what I read on the internet. Sylvester Stallone is somebody that I like and he's always been very friendly to me over the years so I would consider it but I haven't had any formal discussions about it."

For more on Cage and "Expendables 3," head over to Deadline.com.

[via Deadline.com]

PHOTO GALLERIES
'The Expendables 2' Posters and Stills

Subscribe to the Entertainment email.
Home to your favorite fan theories and the best movie recs.