This holiday weekend took a harrowing turn for one New Hampshire family after their toddler fell 20 feet down a laundry chute and became trapped in the wall. The little boy's parents were in bed in their Victorian-style home on Carpenter Street in Manchester, NH when they heard the bang just after 7 a.m. on Thursday, according to My Fox Boston.
“I was screaming and shaking,” 2-year-old Cayden's mother Melissa Pendlebury told WHDH. “My sister said, 'oh my God he's in the wall.' He had fallen down a wire chute down from the second floor to the basement, but the wires had caught him between his legs.”
As Cayden screamed in fear and pain, his dad punched a hole through the wall in a panic so that he could, at least hold Cayden's hand.
“I could see his hand and his feet, that’s it. He was just screaming. There was nothing I could do,” dad Eric Leger said.
The family's home used to be an administrative building and the chute was used to run wires from the top floor to the basement, according to The Boston Globe.
“We’ve lived here for 3½ years,” Pendlebury told The Globe. While the kids have thrown toys down the chute's opening -- about 10 inches by 6 inches -- they said there never seemed to be any danger.
Firefighters arrived within minutes and cut the wires cradling Crayden, according to WMUR. He was rushed to nearby Elliot Hospital and treated for minor rashes and burns.
The family was home by late morning, where they celebrated Thanksgiving in an unconventional way, according to The Globe -- Chinese food, movies and cause to be extra-grateful.