Wayne Houchin, U.S. Magician, Set On Fire On 'Closer To The Stars' Dominican TV Show (VIDEO)

Posted: Updated:

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- An American magician was recuperating Sunday in the Dominican Republic after a local television show host lit his head on fire with a flammable cologne.

Chico, California-native Wayne Houchin said he is receiving treatment for burns that doctors are cautiously optimistic will not result in scars. A Sunday statement on his Facebook page says he is "resting, healing & working through the legal process" in the Caribbean nation, where he had been performing with a group of fellow magicians.

During a Nov. 26 appearance on the Dominican Republic's "Closer To The Stars" TV program, guest host Franklin Barazarte abruptly doused the U.S. magician's head with "Agua de Florida," a flammable cologne commonly used in Santeria rituals. A video of the incident shows the magician's head bursting into flames as Barazarte runs his hands over Houchin's hair.

It is unclear why the TV host doused his head in the liquid and what ignited it. The program has not commented on the incident.

The video also shows Houchin, Barazarte and others struggling to extinguish the flames for several seconds. The incident was not broadcast on Dominican television but a video of it has appeared on the Internet.

Houchin said Barazarte's actions were completely unexpected and he considers it a criminal attack.

He said "the outrage here and outpouring of support has been incredible."

It was not immediately clear if he has retained a lawyer in the Dominican Republic.

Also on HuffPost:

Iconic Quotes: Who Said What?
Share this
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Wayne Houchin (WayneHouchin) on Twitter

Wayne Houchin, magician, set on fire in viral video

Wayne Houchin | Facebook

US magician Wayne Houchin hospitalized after his HEAD set on fire in 'criminal ...

Magician Wayne Houchin Still in Hospital after Head Set on Fire on TV [VIDEO]

US magician burned on Dominican TV show

Magician badly burned in live television prank